- Bridge the gap between university research capabilities and the needs of industry
- Utilize the technical assets and expertise of The Ohio State University
- Create a common user facility with state-of-the-art equipment, creating a learning laboratory accessible to the industry, research community and students
- De-risk industry's participation and investment in new technology
- Build the future workforce of industry-ready students in design, manufacturing and technology innovation
The Center for Design and Manufacturing Excellence will be the foremost leader in applied research through business validation, process innovation, design, technology advancement, and best-of-class manufacturing approaches.
CDME was developed to meet the translational research needs of the university’s external partners. The center was funded initially via a $6.8M federal grant and by the The Ohio State University's College of Engineering to ensure that university innovation provides a more direct impact on the commercial manufacturing industry.
University Innovation | Industry Implementation
The Center for Design and Manufacturing Excellence (CDME) is the manufacturing port of entry into Ohio State. The center’s ability to move at the speed of industry while continuing to innovate eases the communication between both industry and the university experts to execute project management plans.
The center is staffed with diverse professionals ranging from former business leaders and entrepreneurs to practicing engineers. Wherever possible, the center will utilize existing equipment to support industry and university research community with market validation, design feasibility, commercialization, manufacturing scale, and workforce development programs.